The Archaeological Museum is part of the National Archaeological Museum of Cagliari, a MiC institute with special autonomy since 2019.
The Museum is located in the ancient Castello district within the Citadel of Museums which was built between 1956 and 1979 designed by architects Libero Cecchini and Piero Gazzola with the recovery of the royal arsenal and medieval walls.
The archaeological collection includes over 4,000 artifacts that tell a long history of almost 7,000 years, from prehistoric times to the early Middle Ages, from Neolithic mother goddesses to Nuragic bronzes, from Phoenician and Punic jewels to Byzantine cult objects.
In 2016 the museum becomes liquid with the accessibility project
Opening of company profiles and blogs, virtual buildings of the museum.
In 1993 the Museum collections are moved to one of the buildings of the complex of the Citadel of Museums
The museum is set up in ‘building the brand in Independence Square, designed by Denis Scanu.
To accommodate the new object was first created by a lapidary cabinet, then in 1895 the entire “museum” was moved in some rooms of the Palazzo Vivanet on Via Roma.
In 1805 the Viceroy gave the collection of the Cabinet of Archaeology and Natural History at the Royal University of Cagliari in the Belgrano headquarters building, in the Via University.